Much to my surprise this morning, the perinatalogist decided he wanted to try Finley back on the other ventilator. I have to admit I was gripped by fear at any changes being made – so after I called Jon to give him the update (he went home to spend some time with Rowan this morning) I cried and cried to God and asked for him to give me more strength and he answered my prayer. I was able to pull myself together, go back into the room and watched as they changed machines. It was scary watching her oxygenation numbers start to fall and then sure enough, as she realized she could take her own breaths too on this ventilator, they climbed back up. They set new acceptable ranges- she can dip a little lower than before (85-99), but has been staying within range since they made the change – she is now on 35% oxygen – which really isn’t too high. Her CO2 is about 65 which is higher than on the other machine (44) but they are ok with that – babies with CDH can have higher CO2 pre surgery is what they said. The Dr today said that they are calling her PH mild since she doesn’t need that much oxygen and no other medical intervention (nitric oxide, etc). So for right now, I have to say things are pretty good. I am so thankful that she is staying as stable as she is and I just keep praying that this continues like this until surgery. Still no word on when, I am guessing not until next week since I hear both the surgeons are going on vacation this week. Don’t they know that isn’t allowed? No rush though, each day lets her body grow stronger and hopefully heal the PH entirely! I just pray that she continues to do well on this vent and doesn’t experience any decline. Please help her heal and get stronger each minute, each hour, each day. That is my prayer.
Also I am sooo thankful that I so far, am exceeding milk supply expectations- so Finley needs to hurry up and be able to start eating all this milk that we are storing for her in the NICU freezer. (She doesn’t get BM until after she stabilizes after her surgery).