We went back for our first ultrasound and Dr’s appointment since getting the news that Finley has CDH. I was very emotional during the ultrasound – there are just so many emotions to process right now. It’s overwhelming at times. The great news is that the lung/head ratio has gone from a 1 to a 1.37 which is REALLY good. The higher the ratio, the better outcome usually. It is also dependent on which organs are in the chest cavity as well- in our case if it continues to be just the stomach and part of the intestines that puts us in a much better place. Having the liver migrate up there is very bad – so we will continue to pray that God keeps her liver where it is. Her heartbeat was really strong and she is looking good otherwise. We spoke to the Doctor more about making the decision about the pediatric surgeon – we have two people to consider locally – Dr Newman or Dr Bliss delivering at Emanuel; or we could possibly go down to UCSF because they do see the majority of these cases on the west coast. We are going to explore to see if it makes sense to deliver down there – if the medical care would be better for Finley. Our perinatologist seems to think that Emanuel is well equipped to handle our case and since we are not a more dire case (which would mean lower ratio, liver up, right-sided CDH) UCSF may not be necessary. Please pray that God guides us to the right hospital/surgeon and that we have a peace in our decision.
I am so thankful for all the support and prayers up to this point. I know that I couldn’t function without it. I truly feel God’s comfort and support through this. I have my moments of fear and worry – but overall I am so amazed that I am functioning as well as I am – and I know that is ALL God.
I keep thinking about this verse and it gives me comfort;